Problems with joints in old age have long been no surprise to anyone, but more and more young people are wondering why knees hurt. We answer.
Young knee pain
The most common causes of knee joint pain at a young age may be:
- Strikes and stretching ties;
- Manifestations of juvenile (juvenile) rheumatoid polyarthritis;
- Vaccine arthritis (as a response to vaccination);
- Anomalies of the development of the musculoskeletal system;
- Osgood-Schlatter disease (osteochondropathy of the tibia, more common in athletes) and some other diseases.
Why hurt knees in the elderly
In middle and older age groups, pain in one or both knee joints can be a manifestation:
- Traumatic and posttraumatic changes (including injuries of meniscus of different origins);
- Acute and chronic inflammation in the joints (arthritis) of different nature (infectious, allergic, autoimmune, etc.);
- Degenerative-dystrophic changes in joints (deforming osteoarthritis) associated with age or presentation to the knee joints "elevated" requirements in connection with the profession (athletes), in persons with increased body mass;
- Disturbances of an exchange character: knee pain in case of osteoporosis, gout, diabetes mellitus, adrenal diseases and other endocrine pathology, when taking some medications (corticosteroids, cytostatics);
- Other (systemic) diseases: diseases of blood, connective tissue, blood vessels, muscles, nervous system.
Sometimes it is difficult to determine why the knees are painful: the defeat of the surrounding joints of soft tissues (with myositis, fibromyalgia, varicose veins, or thrombophlebitis of the veins of the popliteal area, etc.), or the disease or injury of the joint itself: damage to the meniscus, extension of the intraarticular Ligament, pathology of cartilage tissue covering the surface of the joints (for example, the formation of cartilaginous bodies - the so-called "intra-articular mice", inflammation of the articular bags, the cavity of which can be directly connected with the cavity of the joint Ba).
Knee knee: what to do
In knee pain, an additional examination is often required: X-ray, ultrasound scanning, densitometry, magnetic resonance imaging, a series of biochemical analyzes, as well as consultations of specialists in related specialties.
If this is not done on time, but self-medication, the process can gradually progress, cause changes in other parts of the musculoskeletal system and take irreversible character, lead to disability or the need for surgical treatment. And then looking for answers to the questions why knees hurt will be late.