An exclusive interview with Sergey Kolesnikov, Deputy Chairman of the State Duma Committee on Public Health.
The highly pathogenic Escherichia coli (E. coli) E. coli, native to Lower Saxony, claimed 36 lives. She was found in 13 countries. The sick - about 4 thousand people. From Europe it migrated to the USA and Canada. According to the German Federal Institute for Risk Assessment for the population, this outbreak of infection caused by conditionally pathogenic microorganisms E.coli, has become the largest in the world. Restrictions on the import of European vegetables to Ukraine proved to be an effective measure - today Ukrainians have not been diagnosed.
Commenting on the situation in an interview with VitaPortal.ru correspondent, the head of the State Duma Committee on Public Health Sergey Kolesnikov.
- Sergei Ivanovich, how could the conditionally pathogenic stick become deadly?
- Infection in Germany is due to mutated straw of the stick-shaped bacteria. Microbes, as well as any other living organisms, adapt to changing environmental conditions, gaining new properties. They also have a huge amount of modern antibiotics and a number of chemical compounds that have mutagenic properties, such as polychlorinated biphenyls (Are actively used in the manufacture of paints, glues, insulating materials. - the first editor) This is somewhat different infection.
- Everyone knows that you can not eat unwashed vegetables and fruits…
- Today, this measure no longer rescues. Scientists of the Siberian Institute of Plant Physiology and Biochemistry in Irkutsk have recently proved the mechanism of penetration of microorganisms into vegetables and fruits. Aggressive strains of bacteria are capable of breaking the internal barriers of plants, perhaps due to the fact that not only the animal world is modified, but also the plant adjusts its genome.
- How can an ordinary person be able to protect himself and his relatives from dangerous intestinal infections?
- It is necessary to heat the vegetables and fruits thermally - so that the microorganisms are not left inside. It is not necessary to take in unknown places, the product must be checked. If vegetables are grown on the plots, do not forget that unprocessed organic fertilizers can also cause acute infection. One has to be just cautious and think about your health.