Spasm is a contraction of the vessels, nerve bundles, followed by muscle tissue. In the first place the nervous tissue is affected, the regulation of vascular tone is violated. Blood in the veins stagnates, secreted undociated metabolites.
In response to the reaction to their appearance there is a further spasm of the vessels, in order to limit the focus of inflammation. Transmission of nerve impulses to muscle tissue is disturbed, so there is a spasm of the neck, which manifests itself in a sharp pain.
At first - shot. It occurs after exercise, more often at the end of the day or the second day. The attack is provoked by cooling - heat transfer receptors operate. It is reduced due to the occurrence of local spasm of the vessels of the neck, after which there is involuntarily a strong muscular contraction that does not allow to turn his head.
Causes of neck spasm
Pathology has a seasonal nature, appearing in the springtime, when the "weather is deceptive." The sunlight in intensity is similar to the summer heat, but the evaporation from frozen winter is provoked by a cold wind. It is enough to appear several times in the yard without warm clothes to get spasm of the neck already the next day.
Therefore, the disease got the popular name: a country spasm of the neck, which haunches almost all people who open the country season. Physical loading in the open space leads to local overcooling, which also provokes a spasm of the vessels of the neck, followed by convulsive syndrome.
Of course, he has no relation to organic brain lesions. However, spasm of the neck can lead to a reduction in the ability to work and the development of neurosis.
In addition to local cooling, to the spasm of the muscles and vessels of the neck are caused by the following factors:
- Sharp, uncomfortable movements. An additional load on the vertebral column in the region of the cervical vertebra leads to a sharp filling of the blood, which provokes spasm of the vessels and neck muscles, accompanied by intense pain sensations;
- Lack of sodium in the blood. The electrolyte is lost at the general dehydration of the organism or it is provoked by the use of diuretics. When reducing sodium performs one of the main roles, providing the potential for resting muscle cells. When the electrolyte is absent, there is a spasm of the neck muscles, as for their relaxation there is not enough material substrate;
- Avitaminosis. Vitamins B and D, provide muscle contraction, as well as innervation, promote the development of spasmophilia. Spasm of the neck muscles in such cases is the initial stage of the disease.
Hypertension, the presence of intervertebral cervical hernia, as well as malnutrition along with spring avitaminosis, contribute to the development of seasonal nocturnal spasm of the neck. At other times of the year, the incidence is sharply reduced for obvious reasons: people are dressed in season, do not suffer from avitaminosis, have time for neurological examination for cervical intervertebral hernia and other manifestations of osteochondrosis.
In more than half of the cases, neck spasm occurs after an injury. Rarely, its appearance provokes accumulated fatigue.
When inflammation of the muscle tissue develops, the so-called myositis, as a rule, occurs on the one hand, and spreads along the lateral surface of the neck to the shoulder girdle, with the capture of the occipital region.
Pain "shot" as symptoms of spasm of the neck feel at hand to the fingertips. Myositis is always accompanied by numbness of the skin.
Symptoms of spasm of the neck are accompanied by impaired functions of the muscular apparatus and manifested by the following sensations:
- Difficulty swallowing;
- Change of diction;
- Violation of the process of breathing, with difficulty of exhalation due to pain;
- Limitation of movement of the head.
As a rule, spasm of the neck is accompanied by a severe headache that begins with the occipital area. At the same time, blood pressure remains unchanged.
How to remove spasms of the neck
In the acute period, it is not recommended to practice physical therapy, but recently a whole course of neurology has emerged, which suggests that physical exercises can and should bring relief.
Proponents of active treatment know how to relieve spasms of the neck by pulling the spine. There are special exercises aimed at increasing blood supply to the muscles. The vessels open and pass by delayed metabolites, which enter the general bloodstream and are neutralized in the liver. Thus, the causes of myositis are eliminated.
So as to remove spasms of the neck can only stop the trigger mechanism of pathology, supporters of active treatment are many supporters. However, physical activity can lead to strains of the fibers of the surrounding muscles, which will further aggravate the course of the disease.
In the classic version, all physiotherapeutic procedures and therapeutic exercises are performed after the removal of neck spasm, which is carried out by the following methods:
- Novocaine blockade - relieves pain almost instantly, is done by a doctor;
- Acupuncture in the area of active points is done only by a specialist in IRT who knows exactly how to remove neck cramps without dangerous consequences;
- Manual therapy - effective for diagnosis: "hernia of intervertebral discs";
- Postisometric relaxation - a method of non-violent muscle contraction with subsequent relaxation;
- Laser and cryotherapy - methods are definitely effective for removing spasm of the neck, but not accessible to everyone;
- Medical treatment by means of a group of nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs from the appointment of a doctor;
- Local treatment - ointments, folk medicine. Necessary elimination of vitamin deficiencies and electrolytes. Selects a special diet, it is recommended to receive multivitamins (neuromultivitis, pentavitis).