The fracture of the ribs is found both in the young and in the elderly. Older people are more prone to danger, because bone structures of the chest become less elastic. Understanding how difficult a situation can be from the first signs of a rib fracture.
One thing is when it comes to a fracture of 1-2 ribs that can grow, not representing danger to human life. But if the symptoms of a rib fracture are severe, it is a serious trauma, the consequences of which can be unpredictable - from difficulty breathing to pneumonia and pneumothorax.
Signs of a rib fracture
- Chest pain in the chest. It is difficult for the victim to speak, laugh, breathe deeply. With the fact that the missing person injures a discomfort, a crunch of bone fragments can be heard.
- Surface Breathing. Man tries not to inhale to the end, because sparing the damaged part of the chest. Frequently, breathing difficulties arise with the lateral or anterior fracture of the ribs.
- Edema of the chest. It occurs in the event that a fracture is accompanied by lung injury. Then the air penetrates into the hypodermic cellulose, when pressed, you hear a slight rasping.
- Deterioration of general health. One of the signs of a rib fracture is an accelerated pulse, a pale, even bluish tint of the skin.
- If the injured person develops shortness of breath, then there is a pneumothorax. In this case, breathing will not be heard on the damaged side, and due to damage to the lung hemoptysis is observed.
- A few days after the fracture there is a danger of pneumonia, which is accompanied by fever, shortness of breath and symptoms of intoxication. These are dangerous signs of a rib fracture.
Treatment of rib fractures
First of all, it should be noted that with such an injury can not be the language of self-treatment. Many mistakenly believe that broken ribs are sufficiently tight and limit the movement of the victim. However, it should be borne in mind that this can lead to pneumonia and stagnant phenomena. On the contrary, with a rib fracture, fixation is not required. Exceptions are only multiple fractures with complications. In this case, the edges are fixed in the conditions of the in-patient department.
Whatever the signs of a rib fracture, it is not necessary to delay with the provision of first aid. With X-rays, it is determined how severe a fracture is.
If the fracture is simple, then the patient is prescribed outpatient treatment, prescribe special analgesics, expectorants, therapeutic exercises and physiotherapy. If the fracture is complicated, then appoint additional procedures.