Musculoskeletal atrophy is a process of thinning muscle tissue that occurs when the nervous muscle regulation is violated. There are many causes of muscular atrophy, including natural aging, infectious and other diseases.
Among the causes of the development of atrophy of the muscles doctors called primarily metabolic disorders, aging of the body.
This is followed by chronic diseases that affect the glands of the inner secretion, which affects the connective tissue, the work of the stomach, intestines. May cause infectious and parasitic diseases in muscle atrophy.
Muscle atrophy also occurs when muscle nervous regulation is disturbed. This is due to polyneuritis, poisoning and other causes.
To the atrophy of the muscles can also lead to congenital or acquired malnutrition of enzymes.
Forms and symptoms of muscle atrophy
Specialists distinguish two forms of the disease.
- Primary. Expressed in direct damage to the muscle itself. This pathology is associated with heredity, as well as various external influences, such as physical strain, trauma, faults. Man quickly tired, she has a decrease in muscle tone, in rare cases - involuntary twitching of arms and legs, which allows judging the damage of neurons.
- Secondary. This form of muscle atrophy is actively developing as a result of post-infections and injuries. In patients, motorized parts of the forearm, hands, feet, legs are amazed. As a result, limitation of movements, partial and even complete paralysis. This form of the disease is characterized by a slow course, but possible exacerbations, which are accompanied by a strong and intrusive pain.
Types of secondary muscle atrophy
- Neurological myotrophy - In this case, atrophy extends to the foot and shin. Patients have a disturbed stroke (knees when walking are raised high). After some time, the reflexes of the foot go nun, and the disease begins to pass on the upper limbs.
- Progressive atrophy. Its symptoms appear already in childhood. The disease proceeds very hard, during the disease there is a sharp hypotension, tendon reflexes are lost, there is involuntary swirling of the limbs.
- Atrafia Aran-Duchen. This type of pathology is observed in the upper limbs. Patients atrophy intercutaneous muscles and fingers. The hand becomes like a monkey brush, which is not only painful, but it also causes feelings about the appearance. The sensitivity of the limbs is not lost, but tendon reflexes are absent. In the described case, the process of atrophy progresses and soon reaches the muscles of the neck and trunk.
As already mentioned, the main sign of atrophy is a reduced volume of damaged muscles. This is especially true when compared with a paired, healthy body. Also, practically always the atrophy of the muscles leads to a decrease in muscle tone and is accompanied by a strong pain.
Treatment of atrophy
The method of treatment depends on the form of the disease, the age of the patient and the severity of the process. When medication is prescribed, the following drugs are prescribed: vitamins B1, B12, E, peroxide, disodium salt.
Also important is the choice of food, therapeutic exercises, physiotherapy procedures, psychotherapy, electrotherapy.
A full range of therapeutic measures can only be prescribed by the doctor.