Who should immediately contact a doctor when poisoning.
Food poisoning is a disease caused by eating foods containing pathogenic microorganisms (bacteria, viruses, parasites) or toxic substances. Most often they can be found in raw meat, smoked fish, fish and eggs, but they can spread to any food.
Harmful microorganisms are heavily propagated in products that are not in the refrigerated chamber or left in the fresh air. Also, a person may be poisoned with food that has expired.
Sometimes food poisoning happens when people forget to wash their hands before eating.
Symptoms of food poisoning
In most cases, the first symptom of food poisoning is diarrhea. Also, the patient may have pains or cramps in the abdomen, nausea, vomiting. Some types of food poisoning can cause high temperatures and blood in the chair.
In severe vomiting and diarrhea, poisoning can be complicated by dehydration, as the body thus loses a lot of fluid and salts. Early signs of dehydration: thirst, dry mouth, dizziness, and urination with a small amount of dark urine. In children, as well as in the elderly, the body dehydrates very quickly, and therefore they require very strict observation.
Epidemiological aspects of poisoning
If you are poisoned after visiting a pub or in an organized team, any condition should be addressed immediately to a doctor. The sanitary service will carry out extraction and analysis of food residues, as well as a complex of sanitary and epidemiological measures to prevent the spread of the disease. Patients will be taken tests of blood, feces, vomit, rinsing stomach water.
Treatment of food poisoning
In most cases, food poisoning takes place within 2-3 days. The patient needs to just relax and drink a lot of fluid to prevent dehydration through diarrhea. The patient should drink a cup of water or a rehydrating agent every time after going to the toilet. Soda and fruit juices contain a lot of sugar and do not help with dehydration.
Doctors recommend that you return to normal nutrition as soon as possible. When a patient feels that he does not want to, he can try to get back to his usual diet. However, one should try to avoid fatty foods and foods with high sugar content and stick to the gastrointestinal tract of the diet. In the first time, after each meal, you can take enzymes.
If the symptoms are pronounced, stop vomiting and diarrhea manage, the temperature rises, there is confusion of consciousness, pain syndrome is very strong, poisoning a child, an elderly person or a pregnant woman, should be called ambulance. The treatment will be conducted in the hospital.
Prevention of food poisoning
- Purity. Always wash your hands before eating. It is necessary to keep clean kitchen knives, finishing boards and refrigeration chambers. But all this is best to wash with hot soapy water or to put in a dishwasher, and also to use disinfectants. Fresh fruits and vegetables (including bananas) should be washed very carefully. Be sure to wash the eggs.
- Divide. Bacteria that are found in raw meat should not get on fruits, vegetables and other products. Therefore, it is necessary to have separate finishing boards for these products.
- Preparation. Meat, chicken, fish and eggs must be thoroughly cooked.
- Cooling. You need to immediately freeze the remains of food. Do not leave the sliced fruits and vegetables for a long time at room temperature.
- If there is any doubt about the suitability of the product, it is better to get rid of it.