Constant pain that prevents a person to enjoy life, and sometimes even does not allow a person to fully function, many are not familiar with the rumor. In medicine, this pain is called "chronic pain syndrome". As a rule, it is a consequence or symptom of some diseases.
The most common chronic pain, tormenting people, is joint pain and muscle, as well as back pain.
According to statistics provided by the staff of the Moscow Medical Academy named after IM Sechenov, chronic pain syndrome occurs in the following diseases:
- Tuberculosis of the spine;
- Rheumatoid arthritis;
- Various tumors.
The causes of chronic pain may be inflammatory, mechanical, neurogenic or psychosomatic, and therefore, in the first place, the treatment of chronic pain depends on the factors that cause it.
Chronic pain syndrome: medicated anesthesia
There is a stereotype that anesthetics (analgesics) do not cure the disease, but only weaken the pain. But when a person suffering from a serious illness constantly feels pain, he can not live normally, and often he has no strength to fight the disease.
Therefore, one should not refuse pain relievers, especially as doctors use non-pharmacologically, along with a medical pain relief system, which includes such procedures as massage, relaxation, autotraining, etc.
In order to relieve the manifestations of chronic pain that is characterized by moderate pain, doctors usually prescribe anti-inflammatory drugs and preparations based on paracetamol. This is a classic treatment for pain syndrome. In order for it to be effective, the patient must follow the medication regimen, which works on the prevention of pain.
Doses of drugs are prescribed in such a way as to constantly maintain the required level of analgesics in the blood. Sometimes in addition to analgesics prescribed drugs that help them to digest: nausea, laxative, anticonvulsant and other drugs.
The World Health Organization (WHO), more than twenty years ago, developed a method of analgesia, which is a "three-step ladder". The steps of this staircase vary in degree of pain and medications prescribed by the physician to overcome this pain.
The first degree is the classical treatment scheme described above. The second and third stages mean implantation in different doses of analgesics of narcotic origin (opiates). Such treatment is used for serious, severe diseases with severe pain, including cancer.
Medicinal treatment of chronic pain syndrome
Medicinal treatment of chronic pain syndrome has side effects. For example, non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs can lead to diseases of the gastrointestinal tract and kidneys.
Another side effect of analgesics can be drowsiness, inattention, even hallucinations and confusion of consciousness. If such symptoms occur, the doctor should prescribe another analgesic or reduce the dose.
Analgesics of opioid origin may be addictive, but their purpose is to relieve severe pain in severely ill patients.
Non-medicated treatment of chronic pain syndrome
- Very well copes with pain syndrome technique self-relaxation. It includes both auto-trainings and simple exercises for relaxation and stretching of the muscles. Indeed, for pains with different origins in the body, the muscles are affected first of all: they flow through, become lame, appear muscle cramps that increase pain.
- Massage. You can practice as a self-massage, and connect people close to this. The effect of the massage will be even more pronounced if you use aromatic oils that have a calming and relaxing effect.
- Communication with relatives, friends, animals. The joy of communication will help to forget about pain and relax.
- Physical activity. Outdoor walks, home-worries or active rest in moderate amounts will also help to forget about pain.
- Art. The main thing is that creativity is in joy, and not in a burden, then it will provide a therapeutic effect.