Brain edema is a pathological condition in which an excessive accumulation of fluid in the intercellular space and intracellular (intracellular) occurs. This leads to an increase in the volume of the brain and progressive development of metabolic disorders in the brain tissue.
Since brain edema is usually a secondary condition that has arisen with its diseases or lesions (trauma, stroke, encephalitis and meningitis, with tumor processes, brain abscess, malignant hypertension and many other diseases), then the possible consequences may be a specific pattern, Characteristic of the disease, which led to the development of edema.
These remote consequences will also depend on the location and severity of the damage.
What is a dangerous brain swelling
- Brain swelling leads to an increase in intracranial pressure, which is often accompanied by severe headaches, drowsiness and retardation of reactions, frustration of consciousness, disorientation of the patient in time and space, in his own state, he loses the skills of social communication. These symptoms can be expressed in one degree or another after treatment, complicating the lives of patients and their immediate relatives.
- If the cerebellar edema develops (the medulla oblongata, in which the main centers of life support of the body are located), respiratory disturbances, blood supply, the appearance of seizures and epilepsy may occur.
- No less dangerous is the displacement, the insertion and restriction of the brain stem, which can lead to tetraparesis and paralysis, and to the stopping of breathing.
- When eliminating the symptoms of brain edema and intensive course of rehabilitation therapy, many patients still have adhesion processes in the ventricles of the brain, liver spaces, between the shells of the brain, which can be manifested by headaches, epipridocysts, leading to the asthenization of the nervous system.
- With prolonged existence of brain edema, violations in the work of the cerebral cortex may subsequently develop, which adversely affects mental processes, and in the case of even cases, even development of decortication can develop.
Prognosis of brain edema development
It was found that the earlier the patient began to provide adequate and intensive care, the higher his chances of recovery. Of course, the important role here is the severity of the disease.
Therefore, such patients need to be urgently hospitalized in the intensive care unit for conducting dehydration therapy, rehabilitation of liquorodynamics and blood supply to the brain.
Small perifocal edema is well documented with the possibility of complete recovery. But in some cases (with the development of the brain tissue of the cystic-atrophic processes) it is possible to achieve only a partial restoration of the lost functions.
If only the main illness, which is accompanied by edema of the brain, is treated, then the recovery is not always possible and possible lethal outcome.