For most older people, deterioration (cloudiness) of vision is a frequent phenomenon. At present, poor vision can be corrected with contact lenses or glasses, and in extreme cases, by surgery.
The usual consequence of changing the shape of the eyeball is a gradual deterioration of vision. But suddenly cloudiness of the eye points to serious health problems, especially if there are additional symptoms.
Darkening in the eyes and its causes
Blurred vision usually looks like opaque inclusions, which freely float inside the eyeball. Vertebral arteries supplying the visual cortex of the brain may suffer from problems with the cervical vertebrae. This is the main cause of turbidity in the eyes.
Often, when the vitreous body is clouded in the liquid medium of the eye, you can see the inclusions, which have the form of custom clusters of fibers. This happens when:
- Vascular problems (for example, vegetative vascular dystonia);
- Metabolic disorders (eg, increase in cholesterol in the blood);
- Increased intracranial pressure.
Also, due to defects in the retina of the eye or the optic nerve, there is a clouding called the scotum (the area in the field of vision, where the image is not at all perceived or somehow distorted). These same symptoms can be detected if the visual pathway is disturbed inside the brain, so it is very important to locate visual disturbances (brain, optic nerve or retina) and cause (inflammation, traumatic effects, circulatory disorders, etc.).
Ways to establish the correct diagnosis
The eyeball is easily verified using optical instruments such as lenses and automatic digital devices, but the retina, the leading pathways of the brain, and the optic nerve itself are studied in other ways.
- Visible and invisible scotomas are manifested in the study of visual fields on the computer perimeter. Depending on their size, shape, spatial position, you can find out the location and degree of disturbance of the pathways of the optic nerve.
- The location and degree of disturbance of the visual pathways can also be obtained through the so-called visual-induced potentials. In this case, the speed and volume of nerve impulses, starting from the retina of the eye and ending with the cerebral cortex, are studied.
- On the structural disturbances of the optic nerves and the brain will allow you to find out the magnetic resonance imaging of the optic nerves and the brain.
- About the severity of circulatory disturbances you can find out if you look for the vessels of the head and neck.
In order to get the right treatment, you need to know exactly the cause of opacity. Their appearance can be related to both the optical structures of the eye, its retina and the optic nerve, and with the parts of the brain that provide the perception and signaling of the brain.